Susan G. Komen New England Offering Community Grants to Qualified Organizations Meeting Breast Health Needs in Vermont

MANCHESTER, VT – Susan G. Komen New England is pleased to offer Community Grants to organizations in Vermont that are working to meet the most critical breast health needs throughout our service area. Our funding priorities for our 2020-2021 grant cycle are: Patient Navigation, Reducing Barriers to Care, and Education that Leads to Action.

“Our community grants program will help us reach the bold goal announced by Susan G.  Komen to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths in the U.S.  by 50 percent by 2026,” said Lori van Dam, Komen New England CEO. “Up to one-third of women who are currently dying could be saved without any new medical breakthroughs. The programs we fund will help overcome barriers to screening and treatment, so all our neighbors have the same opportunities to access the care they need.”

Vermont and New Hampshire (as well as Maine, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut) non-profit organizations, health care providers, hospitals, educational institutions, and governmental agencies who are eligible, and meet the specifications of the RFA (request for application), should apply for funding as soon as possible. Applications are due on December 3, 2019. Funding announcements will be made in March, 2020.

Four Vermont community-based health programs received Komen New England grants in 2019-2020: Cancer Patient Support Foundation (Williston, VT), North Country Hospital (Newport, VT), Neighborhood Connections (Londonderry, VT) and Northwestern Hospital (St. Albans, VT).

To obtain the Request for Applications, please visit www.komennewengland.org or contact Ryan Tollefson, Community Health Manager, at rtollefson@komennewengland.org or 774-512-0408.

####

Komen’s Investments in Vermont
Each year, Affiliates contribute at least 75 percent of local funds raised to help provide vital education and real-time support to people facing breast cancer today in their communities. The remaining 25 percent supports Komen’s national research grants program. Since 1993, Komen New England has invested nearly $32 million into community programs serving local women and men, while contributing over $10 million to Komen research.

 

About Susan G. Komen®
Susan G. Komen® is the world’s leading nonprofit breast cancer organization, working to save lives and end breast cancer forever. Komen has an unmatched, comprehensive 360-degree approach to fighting this disease across all fronts and supporting millions of people in the U.S. and in countries worldwide. We advocate for patients, drive research breakthroughs, improve access to high-quality care, offer direct patient support and empower people with trustworthy information. Born out of a promise between two sisters, Susan G. Komen remains committed to supporting those affected by breast cancer today, while tirelessly searching for tomorrow’s cures.

About Susan G. Komen® New England
Susan G. Komen New England is working to better the lives of those facing breast cancer in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. Susan G. Komen® New England began with Races for the Cure® in Boston and Manchester, VT in 1993 and Hartford in 1994. The Affiliate has invested over $13 million in Connecticut organizations, over $3 million in Maine organizations, over $9 million in Massachusetts organizations, and over $6.5 million in Vermont and New Hampshire organizations providing breast health services to uninsured and underinsured residents. The Affiliate has also contributed more than $10 million to support breast cancer research.

Grants are contingent upon signed and executed contracts with Komen